Putting Therapy Into Practice
This month, we have created a calendar of activities for you to try at home with your child. Make sure you take a photo of your family participating in one of these activities so that we can show off the CSLS community!
Drawing with Chalk!
Go outside and draw with chalk on the driveway or sidewalk. Talk about the colors you’re using, the size of the chalk (big/small) or how the chalk feels on your hands (filmy/dusty). Draw a rainbow and describe all the colors they chose to use for their rainbow. Trace your child’s hand or outline their body and let them add colorful decorations. Draw a hopscotch board. Practice writing letters/numbers. Play hangman. The options with chalk are limitless. Just remember to have fun and enjoy!
You can encourage the following concepts into this activity:
- Verbs: draw, color, make
- Adjectives: colors, shapes, dirty/clean, small/big
- Word Combinations: draw a sun, make a circle, draw a face, blue pants, yellow shirt
- Reciprocal Social Interaction: Have your child request, I need the _____. Then you take a turn asking Can I have the ___?
- Motor Speech: Speak with your PROMPT trained clinician to determine which words are appropriate to incorporate make it, do it, you do it, I do it, let me do it, need it, do you need it
- Every Friday: Free Music Concerts from 10:30-11:30 Market Common Clarendon
- July 8th: Happy Birthday Alexandria from 6:00-10:00
- July 13th-29th at 10:30 By the Seashore (July 15th is a sign-interpreted performance)